2016 Architectural Visualization Rendering Engine Survey - RESULTS
As there have been a number of changes in the popularity of new rendering engines in the architectural visualization space, CGarchitect surveyed our audience about their rendering engine usage.
The survey was conducted over October and November 2016 for just over 30 days. There were a total of 1,995 participants in the survey, all of whom are involved in arch. viz. production.
EDIT (Dec 1, 2016): So there is no misunderstanding of these results, this survey obviously represents the views of CGarchitect users, who are predomentantly mid to high end visualization specialists in architectural firms and dedicated visualization studios. To better understand the makeup of this audience and our site, we invite interested parties to review our current industry surveys here for more details: http://www.cgarchitect.com/features/category/industry-surveys
Based on our understanding of the industry this equates to a Margin of Error of 3%, 99 percent of the time.
Upon filtering the data we were also able to determine some interesting trends as well:
- 55% of V-Ray users are experimenting with another renndering engine: Corona (44.7%), Unreal (31.9%), FStorm (23.6%), Octane (15.2%), V-Ray RT (14.5%), Arnold (9.7%), Lumion (8.8%), Maxwell Render (5.9%), Redshift (5.9%). Of these users, 26% plan to replace V-Ray as their primary rendering engine, the reminder (64%) will supplement V-Ray.
- Of V-Ray users currently experimenting with Corona, 26% intend to replace their existing production renderer, 63% intend to supplement their existing rendering engine.
- Of V-Ray users currently experimenting with FStorm, 29% intend to replace their existing production renderer, 65% intend to supplement their existing rendering engine.
- 58% of mental ray users are experimenting with another renndering engine: Corona (32.8%), Unreal (27.6%), V-Ray Adv (24.1%), V-Ray RT (24.1%), Iray (15.5%), Arnold (13.8%), Octane (12.1%), FStorm (12.1%), Lumion (10.3%)
- 52% of Corona users are experimenting with another renndering engine: FStorm (42.9%), Unreal (29.4%), Octane (20.6%), V-Ray (10.6%) Arnold (8.8%), V-Ray RT (8.2%), Lumion (7.6%), Redshift (7.1%), Iray (6.5%)